The Royal Jersey Light Infantry

Regiment Home
Badges & Insignia
All the Channel Islands Militia (Royal Alderney, Royal Guernsey, Royal Jersey) claim to have been founded in the 13th-14th centuries. Militia were a class of part-time soldiers that was eventually superseded by the Territorial Army. The terms of their liability for call-up varied over the centuries. In the 1881 Army reorganization which paired all regular infantry into two-battalion regiments, the Militia became the 3rd (and sometimes 4th) Battalion of these regiments. The Channel Islands Militia notably were excluded from this scheme and kept their old titles. No Militia were embodied after 1919, but government attempts to disband them outright in 1920 met with stiff resistance. The Militia remained dormant in W.W.II, and finally in 1953 they were disbanded, with the notable exception of the "Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia)" which transferred to the Territorial Army while keeping its Militia subtitle.

By 1902 Alderney had converted to artillery. The Royal Guernsey Militia were designated "Light Infantry" in 1814 with four battalions, which by 1902 had reduced to two, and later were augmented by artillery and engineer units.



Sunday, 18 November, 2012 11:11

Site by Severn Beach