The King's Shropshire Light Infantry
extracted from "The Territorial Battalions, A Pictorial History 1859-1985" by Ray Westlake
further details are given on these battalions in appropriate sections of the site
The 4th KSLI was formed in 1908 by the amalgamation of the regiment's 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalions. Both battalions dated from 1859, and were formerly the 1st and 2nd Shropshire Rifle Volunteer Corps.
During the Boer War, each battalion contributed a number of its members for service at the front. They fought with the 2nd Regular Battalion, KSLI and were involved in actions that included the Zand River, Vredfortweg Rhenoster Spruit and Barberton. During the war, the volunteer service companies sponsored by the 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalions marched over 1,000 miles.
In October 1914, the 1/4th Battalion left Southampton for India. It later moved to Singapore, from where it sent detachments to the Andaman Isles, and in April 1915, two companies to Hong Kong. The battalion left for home, via Ceylon and Cape Town, in 1917, reaching Plymouth on the 27 July. Two days later it was sent to France. The French Croix de Guerre avec Palme was awarded by the French Government to the battalion for its gallantry at Bligny on 6 June 1918. Both second and third line units were formed by the 4th Battalion. The 2/4th remained in the UK while the 3/4th became the 4th (Reserve) Battalion of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
The 4th KSLI went to Europe again in 1944, and was soon involved in heavy fighting at Odon and Mount Pincon. Sgt. G. H. Eardley MM being awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in an attack east of Overloon on the 16 October. The 4th Battalion now form part of the 5th Light Infantry (Volunteers).
Formed in 1939 as a duplicate of the 4th Battalion, the 5th remained in the UK throughout the war.
8th (Home Defence) Battalion
See 30th Battalion
10th (Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) Battalion
Formed in 1917 from the regiments of 1/1st Shropshire and 1/1st Cheshire Yeomanry, then serving n Egypt in a dismounted role. As the 10th KSLI the yeomen fought as part of the 74th (Yeomanry) Division in Palestine, and later in France and Belgium.
The 30th KSLI was originally formed as the 2/10th (Home Defence) Battalion of the King's Regiment (Liverpool). It was transferred to the KSLI as its 8th (HD) Battalion in 1941, and that same year assumed the title - 30th Battalion. The 30th was redesignated as No 99 Primary Training Centre in 1942, and was disbanded in September of the following year.