Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and Somerset Light
Infantry were amalgamated at Osnabruck, Germany on 6th
October 1959 to become The Somerset and Cornwall Light
Mercer Barracks Osnabruck 1959 - 1961
Short stay at Seaton Barracks Plymouth
Europa & South Barracks Gibraltar 1961-1963
In 1961 the SCLI went to Gibraltar as the Garrison Battalion.
Brooke Barracks Berlin 1963-1965
The SCLI went to Berlin after the Berlin Wall was erected.
Duties included being the Guard at Spandau Prison.
Milton Barracks Gravesend 1965-1967
Returning to England, the Battalion was in the NATO
Strategic Reserve. Exercises were carried out in Norway
April 1966 Emergency Tour to Aden returning to Gravesend
The Light Infantry (LI), was formed on Vesting Day
10 July 1968 from the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
(51st Foot & 105th Foot), the King's Shropshire
Light Infantry (53rd Foot & 85th Foot), the Durham
Light Infantry (68th Foot & 106th Foot) and the
Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry to form the Light
Infantry in the Light Division
The Battalion (now 1LI moved to Northern Ireland from
Gravesend after Vesting Day)
Abercorn Barracks Ballykinlar Northern Ireland 1968