(13th, 32nd & 46th Foot)
The Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry (SCLI) was
formed on 6th October 1959 by the amalgamation of the
Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) and
the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. On amalgamation
the Regiment comprised one regular battalion —
the 1st Battalion, stationed in Osnabruck in what was
then West Germany, and two Territorial Army battalions
— 4th/5th Battalion The Somerset Light Infantry
(TA) and 4th/5th Battalion The Duke of Cornwall’s
Light Infantry (TA).The Regimental Depot was at Bodmin
and the Regimental Headquarters at Taunton.
The 1st Battalion received Colours in May 1962 whilst
stationed in Gibraltar, the Colours being presented
on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen by Field Marshal
The Lord Harding of Petherton. The 1st Battalion served
in West Berlin, Gravesend and Aden before becoming part
of the new Regiment in 1968.
A Bugle Horn stringed, ensigned with
a Mural Crown, all in Silver. Between the strings
of the bugle horn a Red patch.
The Bugle Horn commemorates the granting
of Light Infantry status to the 13th Foot in 1822
and to the 32nd Foot in 1848. The Mural Crown was
granted to the 13th Light Infantry in 1842. The Red
Patch commemorates the "Red Feathers" of
the 46th Foot.
Facing Colour: Royal Blue Regimental
Colours: Light Infantry Green, Royal Blue and Red