The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Regiment Home
Battle Honours
Territorial Battalions
Regimental Battalions
The Regimental March
Civic Honours
Commanding Officers
51st Time Line
105th Time Line
KOYLI Time Line
Boer War
WW1 Roll of Honour
WW2 Roll of Honour
Photo Album
Army List
Regimental Museum
Pontefract Barracks
Message Board

1761-1763 - 105 (Q O R Highlanders) (Disbanded)

1782-1783 - 105 (Volunteers of Ireland) (Disbanded)

1794-1796 - 105 (Leeds Volunteers) (Disbanded)

1839 - The Second Madras European Light Infantry Regiment raised at Arnee, India (2nd Bn.).

In July, 1839, the Honourable Court of Directors of the East India Company authorised Lieutenant-Colonel Archibald Brown-Dyce to raise a new Regiment to be known as the Second Madras European Regiment. It was to be raised as a Light Infantry Regiment with Headquarters at Arnee where, in December, the first draft of recruits from England and Ireland arrived. Three years later the Regiment received its first colours, bearing the motto "Cede Nullis."

It saw brief service in Burma in 1856 before being concentrated back in India with all other available European troops on the outbreak of the Indian Mutiny.

1858 - 2 Madras European (Light Infantry) Regt

1861 - 2nd Bn. renamed 105th (Madras Light Infantry) Regiment

In 1861 the European Regiments of the East India Company were converted into Regiments of Her Majesty's General Army - whereupon the 2nd Madras European Regiment changed it title to the 105th Foot (Madras Light Infantry).

1872 - 105th moved to Aden

In 1872 the 105th arrived in Aden for a spell of active service and in 1874 sailed to England for its first tour of home service, which included a tour in the Channel Islands.

1874 - 105th England - Sheffield, Colchester, Channel Islands, Ireland

1881 - joined by 51st Regiment to form 1st (51st) and 2nd (105th) Battalions The King's Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment) 2nd Bn in England and Ireland. The 105th was in England sharing a depot with the 51st Foot in Colchester.


Saturday, 26 November, 2005 16:58

Site by Severn Beach