Duke of Cornwall's
Light Infantry Regimental Museum
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
Cornwall PL31 1EG
Phone: (01208) 72810
Curator - Mary Godwin.
Registered Charity Number: 1137184
Open: Mon/Tues. – Sat. (Seasonal)
Admission Prices: Adult £5.00; 18 years and under
FREE (groups of 10 or more by arrangement, and school
visits by arrangement)
Mar to Oct: Mon-Sat, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (last admission
Nov to Feb: Tues-Sat, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (last admission
Plus Christmas and New Year, and Sundays on bank holiday
weekends and special events – see website for
The Keep and DCLI War Memorial, Bodmin, Cornwall.
Cover of Museum guide book.
Click on image to see a larger picture.
The museum was started in the Depot in 1925. Since
then it has expanded considerably and now occupies the
old Quarter Master's Stores on the first floor of The
Keep. It is divided into two parts: the Main Historical
Gallery and the Armoury.
The Main Historical Gallery traces the history of the
Regiment from its formation in 1702 to its amalgamation
with the Somerset Light Infantry in 1950. The may wars
and campaigns are put into the perspective of the history
of the United Kingdom by means of explanations, maps,
pictures and artefacts.
The Armoury contains one of the finest private collections
of small arms and machine guns. Also shown are many
of the colourful uniforms worn by the Regiment before
1914, together with a remarkable display of decorations
"The Colours in St. Pedroc's" 27 Old
Colours carried by the Regiment since 1816 hang in the
Soldier's Aisle of St. Pedroc's Parish Church in the
centre of Bodmin, for all to see. To the left of the
picture is the fine Memorial to those of the 2nd Battalion
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry who fell in the
Boer War. The aisle contains a number of other DCLI
Memorials. From back cover of Museum guide book.
The Colours of the Regiment from 1816 hang in St. Petroc's
Church, Bodmin. These include those of the 46th Foot
carried in act